#header-inner { margin: auto; text-align: center; }

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Wishbone Extended Remix Version


Wishbone 16 X 20 mixed media for Take a Word and Illustration Friday

This is an older piece that I recently reworked.  It tells the story of childhood with all its magic and fears. After I completed her the first time,  I actually obliterated the entire left side of the painting, in dissatisfaction, and then just left it for almost a year. I decided recently, though, that the original theme of the painting meant something to me, so I went back and collaged more images to rebuild the underlayer.  If you look closely at the background, you can make out the fairies and butterflies and flowers surrounding the little girl, and, if you look very, very hard, you might also be able to see the sea monster and the spiders lurking just under the surface. Can you tell what her wings are made of? That's right: bones. The pelvic girdle, in fact. This image came from an old anatomy textbook I found at a flea market. I also used a piece of lace, a ballet program, roses from vintage postcards, children's book pages, and old sheet music. Childhood is like this; fantasies and nightmares, imaginary playmates and monsters under the bed, terror and wonder in equal parts.



Since several of you have mentioned viewing a larger size, I've put a link here to see the images better.

11 comments:

Sim said...

Oooooh wouaouh Kathy!
This one is wonderful!
I would have liked to see it in a largest size... It's so beautiful!

Christine said...

I wish I could enlarge it and see the magic, joy and fear that are embedded in your artwork. Nevertheless, I can feel it :)

Marja's Stamp Addiction en Marja's Creativity said...

This is amazing. What a beautiful piece of art.
Lovely greet
Marja
(marjascreativity)

Karin said...

wow its an amazing creation, the colors are great!

Liz said...

It is a wonderful piece and it is clear it holds memories for you. I enlarged it, did I see 'spill' journalling behind?
It's a lovely piece of art and I'm so glad you re-worked it for us today

Lizbethem said...

Viewing it large was a wonderful experience and I definitely recommend it. A fabulous, original and creative piece of art! Just stunning, Kathy!

Electra said...

I LOVE the rich colour in this! Bravo!

Grannie Annie said...

The play between colors on this is amazing...gorgeous artwork!

Bill said...

The colors you used together are stunning! Beautiful work.

bluegiraffe (Sherry) said...

Great piece--dramatic and creative!

Yvonne said...

Gorgeous creation, Kathy!