#header-inner { margin: auto; text-align: center; }

Friday, October 5, 2012

Through the Looking Glass

“And if (you) left off dreaming ..., where do you suppose you'd be?” Lewis Carroll


Sweet Dreams 12 X 12 mixed media for Illustration Friday and Paint Party Friday

I can never seem to leave off dreaming, even when I'm awake.  In fact, it's a habit of mine to actually start dreaming before I go to sleep. When I was a little girl,  I'd lie in bed reading long past my bedtime, until, finally I heard,  "turn off that light and go to sleep, for goodness sake!" In the dark, fueled with inspiration from lands beyond magical looking glasses and enchanted wardrobes, I would imagine  my own stories. I envisioned characters and scenarios in intricate, technicolor detail, until sleep finally caught me and transported me to a dark, mysterious otherworld of enchanted creatures and flying princesses.

I've always been drawn to the idea of portals to alternate realities, perhaps because I escaped my own reality through books and stories, and I spent my time dreaming of little folk and hidden kingdoms. These fantasies healed me and kept me safe, just like the art from my newest collection.  After my last festival three weeks ago, I've spent most of my time cozy and quiet in my upstairs, slant-roofed studio restoring my soul and painting these keepers of dreams and guardians of innocence. My new collection will be available  in Atlanta at Donna Van Gogh's Artist Market on November 1 and on-line to collectors who live too far away to see them in person. I will share them with you here on my blog, and, if you recognize a kindred spirit who needs a home with you, you can call me at (770) 789-4129 send me an e-mail, and I will get back to you. It feels somehow right to have come full circle, back to paintings that tell stories and reveal the mysterious connections between reality and the subconscious.  So many of you helped foster my creative spirit, by sharing your art and championing mine, that it gives me great joy to share this new work first with you.

16 comments:

Giggles said...

I feel tears coming...I know you are home with your true love of whimsy!! I love her so much!!! A card line perhaps? Also I think you should be writing kids books with your amazing imagination! You take it for granted when it was actually a huge gift!!

Big hugs Giggles

Netty said...

I agree with all Giggles has said and more. Loving your whimsical painting. Happy PPF, Annette x

kristin maynes said...

Very sweet! I love your work! HPPF!

Mary C. Nasser said...

Love the vivid pink and green and black and white stripes!!
Wonderful combination!
♥♥♥
Happy PPF!!
Mary
Mixed-Media Map Art

Marji said...

Your painting is wonderful. After reading your post, I am really wanting to see more of the collection. It just sounds delightful. Happy PPF

Anne Manda said...

Lovely and original, striking colors, love it! HPPF!

Lynn Cohen said...

I am sorry you needed to escape, but glad the way you found helped and eventually healed you!
The art coming from those beginning looks magical to me. I like how colorful, and whimsical it is...I see you taking it to great heights!

lorik said...

Such vivid colour! I love that colour combination! Nice composition too.

Michelle said...

Your brain and my brain are like, totally holding hands.

DMG said...

I love all my kindred spirits here!

carol l mckenna said...

she is delightful and magical and so well done ~ (A Creative Harbor)

Christine said...

This is such a beautiful piece, you're so talented.

Faye said...

Oh, Kathy, she is so very adorable. I love those big, green eyes. I agree with the writers above who encouraged you to write a children's book. You have so much imagination and talent.

jasonbob said...

balenciaga sneakers
longchamp
kyrie irving shoes
off-white
jordans shoes
lebron 18
stone island t shirt
pandora
pandora charms
off white jordan 1

yanmaneee said...

supreme t shirt
nike lebron shoes
supreme clothing
bape clothing
golden goose
kyrie irving
jordans
golden goose francy
golden goose
paul george

Unknown said...

Related Site replica ysl bags go designer replica luggage click here for more high end replica bags