#header-inner { margin: auto; text-align: center; }

Saturday, September 6, 2008

My First Tutorial (Sort Of)

At Step Outside Your Box today the challenge is "Backgrounds" and at Saturday's Workout, it's "Tissues," so I thought I'd show you a method I use to make backgrounds using paint and tissue paper or napkins. I know it's not rocket science, but a few people have asked what medium I use for intensely colored backgrounds. So, here you go: I started with a page in my journal and gave it a good brushing with plain water. Then, I squirted acrylic paint directly onto the page and brushed it all over. I tried to let that dry naturally, but I got impatient and hurried along the process with a blowdryer.



Next, I went back, rewet the page, and started adding layers of watercolor. I did this until I was satisfied with the effect, and then, I let that dry. With this page, I used the same process for the pink and the turquoise backgounds.



Then, I brushed red and white striped tissue paper with the same pink acrylic paint, and, when it was dry, I used fancy scissors to cut out little tissue pieces, which I added as collage elements, along with a doily, paper roses, and antique bird and butterfly images. The Victorian girl came from one of the 1907 Burr Atlantic Monthly Magazines from my sweet father-in-law, Ira. I photocopied the vintage images to preserve the originals, and then handtinted the copies with Prismacolor pencils. Here's the end result, which I think I will use as a special Valentine for Mr. Al. He especially likes the collages I make using pictures from his father. so I can say that the valentine is from both of us. Ira would like that too.

12 comments:

Rosie said...

Beautiful and vibrant, like all your collages Alberta! TFS your technique... and I adore what you wrote about your Mum! What a fab tribute!

Sharon said...

Very very cool tutorial. Your results are beautiful! And the image is wonderful too.

Alberta and Ava said...

You taught me everything I know about napkins, Sharon!

Patricia said...

Thank you for your lovely tutorial. I have a box full of tissue paper and this will give me a new challenge. Your blog is just wonderful.

Stempelchaotin said...

Wow Alberta what a wonderful tutorial. Thanks for this.

Your creation is unbelievable again. Brilliant work. Love them.

Thanks for this gorgeous entry to Saturday´s Workout.

Faye said...

Alberta and Ava, what a beautiful use of tissue paper and napkins to create a gorgeous work of art. Yes, it would make a very nice Valentine's Day card.

http://truutske.punt.nl said...

What a very very great card.
The colors...the image ...great work.

ilonka -kreativgeschwafel- said...

really wonderful!

Char said...

Great piece. Bright and lovely.

Giggles said...

As always some of the most vibrant collage on the net and you know me. I love color! Thank you so much for the sweet tutorial... such a nice gift to share with the blogging world! Much appreciated! I didn't realize you had to wait between layers!!

Hugs Sherrie

Gayle Page-Robak said...

Beautiful!

Lynn said...

Just beautiful, the background almost looks digital when you are finished it all blends so well together, and I always love a bit of lace or doily :)
Thank you for sharing your technique.
Lynn