#header-inner { margin: auto; text-align: center; }

Friday, April 13, 2012

Flowers!

Hydrangeas and Roses
Hydrangeas and Roses 16 X 20 acrylic, ink, oil crayon, and charcoal

I just can't stop painting flowers. I love 'em. In the garden. In the house. On the wall. Everywhere. I've been studying the paintings of some of my favorite artists recently, and I spent most of my spring break working on this painting. I started with an acrylic base and then applied layers of ink, oil crayon, and charcoal. I put an acrylic sealer between each layer to allow me to mix oil and water based media and to preserve the integrity of the painting. To achieve as much depth and transluscence as possible, I repeated the combination of layers three times before I was satisfied with the result.

Now, I just can't wait for summer, so I can bury my nose in the real thing!

for Paint Party Friday

11 comments:

Bren Graham Thebeau said...

You certainly achieved your goal with this one. it's beautifully rich and deep colours make me smile, love it

carol l mckenna said...

Lush flowers that look like I can reach out and touch them ~ very creative ~thanks, namaste, ^_^

Faye said...

Rich, beautiful colors in your flower painting, Kathy.

Faye said...

Rich, beautiful colors in your flower painting, Kathy.

Carole Reid said...

don't stop!

Giggles said...

Vibrant and amazing just like you!! I love it, love it, love it!!
Thanks for sharing your process too...very unique piece! I am the same I keep doing flowers all the time too!!

Hugs Giggles
Get it up on ppf?

Netty said...

Beautiful painting. Thank you for sharing your technique. Happy PPF, Annette x

Ginny said...

There is such a richness to your flowers. I want to be able to touch them. I love flowers and all of their beautiful colors.

carlarey said...

Wow, all that layering really paid off. This is so luminous.

Mary C. Nasser said...

Such gorgeous and vibrant and rich colors!
I hope you keep painting flowers!! :)
♥♥♥
Happy PPF!!
Mary
Mixed-Media Map Art

Unknown said...

wonderful and your right flowers are the best thing in nature and I love the color and the smells and the diversity

- KAT -