#header-inner { margin: auto; text-align: center; }

Monday, July 5, 2010

MMM: Something Borrowed

Bird in the Hand

Bird in the Hand 24 X 30 mixed media, available at the Decatur Gallery

I started this painting in Kenson Thompson's two day mixed media class last March at the Sandy Springs School of Art. You can see photos of the class and read about it in my blog post here. Kenson spent some time demonstrating how she layers media to begin a new painting, and she also taught us how to use oil pastels and charcoal in mixed media. She explained that we could use turpentine to creat a translucent wash of color and then brush a clear, quick-drying acrylic finish over the pastels, making it possible to combine oil and acrylic paints. Kenson then suggested that I use one of the "pointy hat girls" from my art journal pages. I thought that was an excellent idea, as I have not painted many human figures and was anxious to give it a try. Deciding to use Kenson's palette, I did the basic outline of this painting in class and went on to begin a second painting. I put this one aside for several months because I was a little nervous about painting a person, and I didn't want to mess it up. Last week I decided to try to finish it in time for my installation at The Decatur Gallery. Once I got started again, I found that I was using brighter hues than I had originally planned. Perhaps because I was more comfortable with my own palette, the painting became less intimidating and the work went fairly quickly. I wish I had placed the figure a little differently, but, all in all, I wasn't dissatisfied, and, as of last Thursday, she is hanging in the gallery, along with five of my other pieces. I am looking forward to painting more human figures and have several compositions in mind already. I'm also hoping to take more classes with Kenson because, not only is she one of my favorite artists, she's so much fun and so very inspiring.

21 comments:

Rosie said...

Kathy, YOU are inspiring! I love this pointy hat girl with the blank face - brilliant! Many congrats on being published in SS - bravo!!

Anjas-Artefaktotum said...

Fantastic art work again, love the soft blended vibrant colors, very amazing.
You are very talented, love it every time to visit your blog.
Hugs from Nuremberg in germany,
Anja

Willy said...

Wow... this is absolutely stunning!

Zuzu's Blog said...

I love your art Kathy. the background alone is so full of subtle shades and nuances. really beautiful.

indybev said...

It has been such pleasure to watch your blossoming artistic talent, Kathy. One day we'll say we knew you when!!! This is a beautiful piece. Both the background and your charming person are beautifully done. Kudos.

Yvonne said...

Absolutely gorgeous!

My Creative House said...

Kathy what a gorgeous painting, love the colors, thanks for your sweet comment.
Anni

Martina said...

What an amazing piece of art, Kathy! So beautiful and perfect!

Nan said...

Love this! The colors are gorgeous and your Pointy hat girl is wonderful. Congrats on the pages in SS...they are striking!

Cynthia Monica said...

Thanks for sharing your process on this piece...it turned out lovely and good luck with your show!

Kristin said...

Wow! This works on so many levels: I love the bold blues and contrasting red-oranges. And the flow in her hair and her hat! It is all so beautiful! This is another favorite. I JUST LOVE IT!
And congrats on your Somerset feature - I will check it out now! Kristin xo

Janet said...

Your artwork always just blows me away! I love this piece....everything about it from the background to the pointy hat and the girl with no face. It's fantastic!!!!

Cindy Adkins said...

Hi Kathy,
This is very beautiful--I love the colors--scrumptious! I have to tell you what a small world it is...My daughter goes to Emory and I wanted to stop in at the Decatur Gallery several months ago, but the trip was quick so I didn't have time...I know it is a fabulous place--I'm so HAPPY you are in it!!!
HUGS,
Cindy

Sandy said...

Oh Kathy this is awesome. So wonderful painting art. very inspiring again. I love this one.

Terri Kahrs said...

Just returned from vacation to find that you're in Somerset Studio with TWO beautiful pieces!!!! Congrats, Kathy!!!! Love everything about this piece too. Hugs, Terri xoxo

Blayne Macauley said...

I love seeing how it turned out! You have come so far!!

Cindy Adkins said...

Hi Kathy,
Silly me, I left you a comment on my blog...and forgot to come here to leave the message...geez!

Yes, when I am back in Atlanta, it would be so fun to have lunch!

My daughter left to do field work in El Paso for her Ph.D., but she should be back in Atlanta the next year, so for sure I'll be coming there.

And I couldn't believe you lived here too--I'm so glad you like the photography...the French Quarter sure lends itself to photographs, doesn't it?

I have my own column in the St. Bernard edition of the Times-Picayune so I take pictures all the time for the newspaper. But, my area is different so I don't do French Quarter pics for it.
Where did you live when you were here? We live in Meraux...
Hugs,
Cindy

ALTERED ARTIFACTS said...

It's beautiful ... if you take more classes I am sure it will be just for fun because you surly don't need to be taught .... you should be teaching :)

Anonymous said...

I like both of these pieces...the Bird in the Hand is superb!! Your art is really taking you places...that's great! My heart is breaking about the wildlife on the gulf and also how it may begin to affect people living there as well.
Mary

Tumble Fish Studio said...

Stunning in the most magical way!

kenson said...

Kathy....i just came across this...wonderful...and thanks for the words about that class...planning another SOON...hope to see you!