#header-inner { margin: auto; text-align: center; }

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Have a HeART For Haiti, A Blog Event

"One love, one heart, let's get together and feel all right." (Bob Marley)


Sounds pretty good, if you ask me. As have so many of you, I've been thinking about what I can do to really help the people of Haiti. One of my students, Ashley, moved to the United States from Haiti six years ago. Most of her family, including her grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins remained in Haiti. In December, Ashley's mother went back to Haiti to care for her aging parents. When we heard the news about the earthquake in Haiti last week, Ashley had no idea if any of her family had survived. The next day, thankfully, her mother was able to call Ashley. She was alive, but Ashley's grandparents were confirmed among the dead. Their bodies had been recovered from the debris of their home, which had collapsed. Ashley's mother was uncertain about the fates of the other family members. She said that an aunt's home had been destroyed, and she thought that several children were buried with their mother under the rubble. Subsequent phone calls revealed that rescue workers thought that they could hear Ashley's aunt calling for help, but when crews were able to get to the victims, they had all perished. I tell you this horrible story because, for me, this catastrophe wears a personal face: Ashley's. I see her every day 4th period. Sometimes she cries, but she comes to school. She won't stay home to grieve because, at home she would be alone. Her father flew to Haiti, last Saturday, to be with his wife. So, Ashley comes to school every day because that's where her friends are. That's where she finds comfort.

So, I've thought about what I could do to help, and I have a plan. But I need your help. I spoke with Rebecca, of Recuerda mi Corazon, last Thursday night about my idea. Rebecca has organized the Cigarbox Shrine Auction for the children of Oaxaca for the past two years, and she was kind enough to speak with me at some length and offered many helpful suggestions.

What I want to do is have a art auction to benefit recovery efforts for Haiti.

Here's how you can help:

1.Place this logo on your blog and link it to this invitation













(created for this event and dedicated to some of the most inspirational people I know, The Three Muses)and Creative Therapy).


2. Create a piece of art (or use something you've already made) and donate it to our auction, to be held in June, 2010. Since this is an international event, please consider things like size and shipping cost before you create your art.

3. Pass this information on to as many people as humanly possible, via your blog, Facebook etc, and return yourself in June to bid.


To participate, here's what you do:


1. Email me personally at kathymccullen@aol.com with your name and preferred link.

2. Create some art!

3.When the new auction site is opened in June, design and upload your own personal page with with photographs of your art and artist's information.

4. Agree to mail your art to the winning bidder, when auction closes, and to donate the proceeds to the Red Cross. All payments for art must be made in the form of a money order or cashier's check made out to the Red Cross, to make things as easy on the artist as possible.


All you have to do now is make a pledge to help. I'll give you further instructions, as time for the actual auction draws near.

"Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared." (Buddha)


Since I started my blog two years ago, I have been overwhelmed by the kindness and support of strangers all over the world who have become my friends. This is an unbelievably generous and compassionate community of people, and, together, we can make a difference. Together, let's light a candle.

Love,
Kathy

38 comments:

rebecca said...

you are here with your beautiful heart making a brighter future for countless others!!!
i am so pleased!
please place me at the top of your list!!!

i will email you to be sure you know my commitment to this worthy passionate appeal!!!

xoxoxoxox,
rebecca
recuerda mi corazon

Betzie said...

WHat a wonderful idea!!! Will definitely try to paricipate and pass the word.

Ozstuff said...

Hi Alberta! A wonderful idea. Let's hope that it just grows and grows. Bev and I have placed your beautiful "badge" and link at the top of our Three Muses blogpage. I hope everyone will take the time to read what you have to say - and join in if possible.
Cheers from Marie.

WildGoose said...

Will definitely post your link/button on my art blog for this timely event-good luck with it..

Unknown said...

Wonderful idea Alberta!!! I love it!!! and it is always better to use art for a good cause...

Hugs
Diana

José said...

This is a great initiative. The link is on my blog.

WrightStuff said...

Although I try to sell my art, for me creating it is always a pleasure. How could I not then give some of that pleasure to others to alleviate their suffering? I will certainly take part. More than happy to create a donation.
Ovation to you for organising this. There are some in this world that think and others that then go on and 'do', so well done!

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Such a wonderful card in beautiful colours.

Diane said...

What a wonderful idea, Alberta, and I will definitely be taking part. The link will be on my blog.

Luisa Migon said...

Alberta, there is a link on my blog. Thank you for giving me this opportunity... To do something for people of Haiti.

Luisa

Everyday Kathy said...

Beautiful idea and post!

Eekgads!!! I just realized I did not get your permission to use a piece of your work in my blog post today. I apologize profusely, the frenzy of all the new connections etc are no excuse for overlooking this! Here is the blog post
http://blisspot.blogspot.com/2010/01/starting-where-you-are.html

Please visit and let me know if you would like me to change anything about how I shared your piece. If you prefer I remove it all together I will do so.

Once again, please accept my apologies for my oversight. I do hope you like the publicity!

Warmest regards,
Kathy over at Everyday Bliss
#111 on the magic carpet ride.

Unknown said...

Kathy,
The tragedy in Haiti seems to so close to all of is as it is streamed into our living rooms each night, but to have a face, a childs face to put on this...well of course we want to do all that we can do.

I will be happy to support your auction!

x..x

Astrid Maclean said...

Alberta, thank you so much for taking this initiative. I will defenitely take part! I will email you so you have my email details.
THANK YOU for doing this!

Rosie said...

Kathy, as soon as I read about this this morning before I went out to work, I knew I was in! So you can count on me girlfriend! I'll do the linky thing, etc. tomorrow morning! xoxoxo

Faye said...

Alberta (Kathy)??? I think your logo is gorgeous and I will post it on my blog. However, I 'm not sure I am able to offer for auction anything that anyone would bid on, unless it was a small watercolor. If I produce something that might sell, I'll donate it.

indybev said...

Oh, Alberta/Kathy, this is a magnificent idea. I am happy to support it. Quite frankly, I've never sold a piece of my art, and it's hard for me to believe people would bid on it, but I'm certainly happy to spread the word about the project! The logo has been posted on the blog. We Three Muses are honored you mention us so warmly, by the way. It will be postd on our personal blogs as well.

Ragamuffin Gal said...

This is so wonderful and beautiful ~ how could I not wish to join in! Thank you for your lovely heart in creating this opportunity for us! Blessings to you!

Counsel McCullen said...

Love you, Mom!
-wesley

Taluula said...

Hi there Miss Kathy, what a splendid idea, and I shall certainly participate, though like Bev and Marie I have never sold any of my art, so the truth will be in whether there are bids. I do hope so.

Thank you my friend for the lovely compliments for the Three Muses.

Thewhimsicalchick said...

Kathy,
What a great idea. I have forward this site to my art class teacher. We will talk about what we will do as a class or seperate.
Becky

Jasmine said...

Right now, i am making a nuno scarf to send to made4aid with Haiti in mind. i admire your efforts to help!

Janine said...

That is a very good idea.
Well done!

Thewhimsicalchick said...

kathy, My shop is in Monroe. It's The Cotton Depot. Please stop by. My booth is under the name Whimsy. Love the music you have. My daughter Hilary is dating a wonderful guy that I love. He is the son of someone you work with. Bonnie Perry. I love her too.
Becky

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

Oh please include me, what an honor to be able to do something from the heart to touch hearts!

Your kids are very lucky to have you. Bless you all!

I am not good at doing sidebar links, but I certainly will do a bbb post!
oxo

Buffy said...

This is such a great idea, I would love to take part and make some art for this. Please count me in. And I will post the link on my blog.

Kim Mailhot said...

This is so wonderful, Kathy ! I am thrilled to commit to creating a work of art for the auction benefiting the people of Haiti, people like Ashley's family. I think that using our resources, doing what we love and offering it up in support is what we are all meant to do for one another.
I love your heart !
Here's to many candles being lit...
Love to you !

Cathy Spivey Mendola said...

Oh Kathy! What a great idea. I am now just coming back to your blog for a visit. I will definitely get going on this worthy project. Thanks for doing this.
xoxo
cathy

Blasé said...

..I just burned myself!

*jean* said...

count me in, dear
*jean*

Unknown said...

i would like to participate

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Logo Maker said...

More great community support and stupidity from people who don't work or are at work and not working. I'm sure you all are doing your best to make Bristol a stronger and better place to live.

KV Creative Designs said...

Hi Kathy,
I already have a bracelet up on my blog for Auction, but am willing to make another for this event too!

I am emailing you in a moment!

Artful Blessings,
Kathryn

The Logo Maker said...

Hello, There is a post on your blog apparently by The Logo Maker but this comment was not made by us. If you could please remove the comment as I really think it is quite rude.

What is being done by people here to support the situation is both an excellent idea and effort.

Debs said...

Kathy, you are one of earth's kindest souls with a heart fit to bursting. I would love to offer something up for your auction. I've added your appeal to my blog and will stay informed by following yours. Best wishes, Debs x

dulcy said...

I am a rug hooker, and began a piece to donate for this auction. I also dropped you an email....so at this point I assume it's ok to go ahead and post the logo on my blog, and perhaps facebook. I just love the idea, and can't wait to see all the wonderful work that will be donated for the auction. Thank you for setting this up!

Dulcy

FAQ said...

I want to donate something. Let me know instructions girlie! This is wonderful!

Queen Bee said...

How exciting! What a BRILLIANT idea! Count me in and thanks for the invite!